Sunday 15 November 2009

Dreams Soiled

Nourishing, caring mother, I kiss you
Today I bid you goodbye against my will
For they shall come in their machines black
My only mother that I had known since birth
Selfless and caring, with bounteous plenty
Today I must leave you for they have come
They who sit in palatial offices have decided
They who eat what me and my brethren milked
The land that my grandfather had ploughed
now belongs to a fat man in fine silks
He intends to produce automobiles aplenty
and sell them to others who have eaten my harvest
I have but a few pieces of useless paper in my hand
and the pieces of my futile, shattered life
Hope, dope or rope is what I ask myself now...

3 comments:

Akash Verma said...

You forget one important curse upon this country... Corruption. The recent Koda case just goes to highlight the same thing we all murmur and whisper and even openly say in passive speech.

Peace cannot be in the same room as Greed.

amma said...

Don't get into this negativism.The young gen of today is continuously being battered with media-bias towards sensational and gory news.What you see and read linger in your mind, but learn to read between the lines.The thousands of kms of roads laid, number of fly-overs built, multitude of other projects completed are not being reported for they offer no sensationalism.Of course we can not be complacent about inefficiency and corruption but we have to strike a balance by also acknowledging the better and good side.

Vikram said...

Well, I partly agree with your mum. The government has done some amount of good, and it needs to be applauded for the same. However, seeing all the graft that goes on, I cannot but wonder at what we are actually capable of achieving. It's just sad that we are developing at a much slower rate than we otherwise would.