Monday 7 September 2009

People-3

This is the interview of my mom...



Q1) How would you define yourself?

Defining myself - very easy. simple quiet and basically background kind of person not out of modesty but I have not much choice with my limited knowledge.



Q2) You are a very religious person, what started this off?

Religious ? I don't know. I am not religious in the strict sense. I take what I like and believe in it.

I should thank my maternal grandfather for initiating me into religion when I was quite young ,say between seven to thirteen years of age. I have seen him performing pooja, helped him sometimes but above all it's the daily trip to temple in his company that stands out in my memory.

During summer holidays grandpa used to take all his grandchildren ( about 4 or five of us) to kapaleeswara temple in mylapore every evening. Most of the time I was the only girl in the group unless some of my cousins joined. There used to be a small library in the temple(I am not sure if it exists even now) which had a good collection of books based on religion.

Grandpa knew that I was a responsible child and so he would allow me to be in the library till sayaratchai pooja (evening pooja) for he had to keep an eye on the boys who loved to run and play. Once the bell of this puja is heard I was told by him to reach the main temple mantapa(hall). In that library I was introduced to many stories of people devoted to religion which might have initiated me into this path.

Later I was caught up with studies and career the fire was just a spark.
Post marriage in the company of your Appa, also a religious person himself my faith was revived and gained momentum. I should thank both you boys who have supported us for in many households of my friends I have seen constant confrontations between parents and children on this issue.



Q3) What do you think today's explosive religious environment is due to?

Today religion is perceived multi-dimensionally with each one trying to exploit the deeply ingrained faith. Religion to me is not just chanting prayers, visiting the places of worship, I would say if you see a well finished job i'd call it done religiously.

Religion is basically discipline and faith from within. Only when I have doubts in what I believe in I'd indulge in comparing, mud-slinging and so on. Today's religious environment is nothing new.

If you look up history religion has been used time and again as a tool to gain power. It's when someone claims ownership to religion then trouble starts limiting it to within certain boundaries. Can anyone claim ownership to the sun, the moon and the stars or anything in this universe for that matter. I feel many of us confuse our social obligations with religious faith which results in total chaos.

(Very well said Ma!)



Q4) As a young person, what were your aims in life? How have these changed as you matured?

My aim........ I am not sure for when I was young, the general trend was to graduate, maybe land a decent job and then get married and settle down. Maybe the general scenario has'nt changed much for almost in all the movies and serials the purpose of the very existence of women is projected as though they are born only to attract men and start to live with them. But i had a dream , yes, a dream of becoming an IAS officer.



Q5) What are your thoughts about the status of women in India today?

In the urban regions, the trend is changing. I see women pursuing their dreams, living life according to their terms. But the casualties of this trend is also rising, a major one is that of rise in number of divorces. Divorce ,per se, I am not against, but when it touches the lives of children then it becomes an issue does'nt it? Another casualty is, there is rise in number of old single women who are in need of care and protection. Since they have been independent always they are not happy in staying in care homes, hence they have to live a life of loneliness in their old age.



Q6) Where do you think that religion ends and blind madness begins? How should people be sensitised to the dangers of the fake Godmen/women?

Good question. If we consider godmen/women as social workers then most of our animosities towards them will die down. Anyway most of today's godmen are social workers only. Don't we hear about mismanagement and ill-treatment meted out to inmates in some of the homes/institutes run by either the Govt. or NGOs? There are only very few dedicated religious leaders who belong to traditional institutions and who do not cross their traditional limits. Not everybody can be a leader and people are always looking up to others to be led and these are the ones who fall victim to false motivated beliefs. As long as there are gullible people, the deceivers also will continue to be active. It's the law of physics - did'nt you learn it in school?



Well Ma, I know I'm no one to judge, but I just have to say this: I don't think I know a more level headed person than you. You are able to see many things in perspective and get the global picture, nice right brain you've got going there...

No comments: